Monday, July 23, 2007

Exploring Nova Scotia with Friends ...No Cooking for a Week

Normally when friends come for a visit, I love to cook for them. This time, though, it's different. Good friends from Toronto are taking their vacation in Nova Scotia and we'll be doing some day trips for the next couple of days. That means eating out...lunches on the road and dinners with my Honey back in town. So over the next few days, I'll be sharing some of those food experiences with you.

Of course I did feel the need to bake something good to munch in the car along the way. Nothing is easier to make than a banana or zucchini bread. So naturally I had to make both! The banana bread recipe is from the latest Donna Hay MagazineIssue 30. The funny thing....it's actually from an ad! The Sunbeam Cafe Series ad to be precise (and all their kitchen toys look awesome, by the way). This series only seems to be available in Australia for now. All I can say is ...What a Pity!!! I certainly could use the 4 slice toaster oven and the panini maker in my new home. But I digress... here's my version of the recipe in the ad - and don't you love how even the ads in Donna Hay's magazine are gorgeous, easy and delicious!

The zucchini bread is actually from another of my favorite sources - 101 Cookbooks. All of Heidi's recipes look stunning and taste wonderful. Be forwarned though, her recipe for zucchini bread is not your average "like Mom used to make" kind of bread. This one is very intriguing with crystallized ginger, poppy seeds and...what actually got my attention....Raz el Hanout spice blend. I bought some a while ago from my favorite spice shop in Toronto - The Spice Trader. I had a chat with the owner, Allison and asked her for her current fave spice blend and a recipe to go with it. I really did enjoy the beef stew which made me think of Moroccan tagines, but I hadn't thought of what else to do with it. Now I do! This zucchini bread is full of flavors. It somehow makes me think of gingerbread. You'll have to give it a try and let me know what it makes you think of.

Heidi's Special Zucchini Bread



Well, I'm off to the airport. Stay tuned for more of my Nova Scotia eating adventures.

Related links:

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow, those both look wonderful. I am a huge fan of both banana and zucchini bread. I wonder if I can find that spice blend...

Poonam said...

Loved the pictures and your post....for sure I like the banana bread..the zucchini, I will try sometime...Thanks for sharing!

Nora B. said...

Have a wonderful trip! And those breads look delicious.

The Culinary Chase said...

Hi Ruth! If your plans take you to Lunenburg, try Fleur de Sel: 902-640-2121 (www.fleurdesel.net/menu.php)
Wolfville: Tempest (www.tempest.ca)
Cape Breton: Glenora Distillery Restaurant (www.glenoradistillery.com/index.html)

We didn't get a chance to go there so let me know what you think. Cheers!
Heather

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

A great way to use up those bananas and a little chocolate thrown in as well. I am in heaven!I am not overrun with zucchini yet but I have you bookmarked.Have a relaxing holiday!!!!

Ruth Daniels said...

The breads did make a great snack and I'll be sharing a bit of the trip in a post, sooner or later.

Heather, Fleur de Sel has been on our radar for months. Thing is we seem to arrive too late or leave too early. But we definitely have to try it. Thanks for the other choices and I'll be sure to share.