Friday, June 8, 2007

WCC is Cornmeal

It's time for one of my favorite food blogging events Weekend Cookbook Challenge, which is the brain child of Sara of I Like to Cook's and is hosted this week by Ani at Foodie Chickie. The theme is cornmeal.

Normally I use cornmeal to make my Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins. They're actually in my own cookbook - Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories, Recipes that Warm the Heart. My family loves them so much, I never try any other cornmeal recipe.

Not exactly true - I have tried a few versions of polenta and haven't really liked any (Hopefully there will be one in the roundup). One other obstacle in my quest for a cornbread recipe...all my cookbooks are still packed away. In fact I can hear their muffled screams all the way from Toronto where they are being stored in a warehouse somewhere waiting for us to find our own place here in Halifax. Wow, that was a long sentence!

So, although Sara told me I could google "cornmeal" and find a recipe on line, I wanted to use a "real" cookbook. I love sitting on the couch, surrounded by them, little bits of napkin stuck in between pages, identifying "potentials". I started going through Joanna's collection and it wasn't until I went through a dozen or so that I found this one for Lemon Biscotti, which is actually made with cornmeal. And even though she has a great many books, I seem to gravitate to this one over and over...Better Food for Pregnancy. Now, don't get nervous...I'm not pregnant and neither are the menfolk. For that matter, neither is Joanna anymore....look how cute 5 month old Boaz is.

But, naturally, I digress. Here's my version of Lemony Biscotti . Thanks for the challenge, now my family has a new favorite.

Related links:

10 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

What a cute photo, he's just adorable! Congrats on being on Blogger Blogs of Note too! I was excited to see your blog name there.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! I love it when you post photos of him. :-)

That biscotti looks yummy too!

Rebeca said...

He is so gorgeous. And I say that as a very biased mother.

Nora B. said...

Boaz is VERY adorable - love that smile! Ruth, I haven't had much luck making biscotti, it is either too crunchy or too soft (after a day). I will have to keep trying I guess, and these lemony ones looks and sounds delightful, thanks!

foodiechickie said...

So glad you participated and found a new favorite.

Adrian said...

nice! that biscotti it`s great

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, those biscotti sound great Ruth! YUM!

Nice picture of the little one too! :)

Bizzy Girl said...

Sweet little dude. He looks happy and contented. Great blog too! Congrats :-)

Ruth Daniels said...

Ladies, I am glad you enjoy seeing my delicious grandson. And thanks for the congrats etc.

I must admit, I was sceptical with the biscotti recipe, but it was very tasty. If fact, they didn't last very long around here.

Nau-Dee said...

Boaz is growing so fast and is still just a doll. I love love love those cheeks of his!