Sunday, August 27, 2006

Celery Root for Weekend Herb Blogging

Glorious Celeriac or Celery Root

Well it's time for Weekend Herb Blogging over at Kalyn's Kitchen. I hardly ever miss the opportunity to submit something and I never miss reading the roundup for some great ideas. So when I was in Montreal and wandering through the Jean Talon Farmers' Market, the sight of these celeriac or celery roots all lined up in a row made me immediately think of WHB!

I must admit, I'm not the biggest celery fan. I do use the leaves and top parts of the stalks in making my chicken soup and as part of the mirepoix (the classic trio of onion, carrot and celery - I usually just use the leaves) for my orange ginger capon or roast beef. I even substitute fennel for the celery when I make tuna or chicken salad. But a while back there was a food challenge where everyone had to make the same recipe, take a picture and write about the experience. The recipe was for braised ribs and celery root was one of the ingredients. I didn't even know what celery root was - walking by the knarly (and usually very sandy) bulbs in my local grocery store without a second glance. And I admit, it did add a wonderful flavor to mashed potatoes. But I really didn't appreciate it until I tried this awesome celeriac remoulade over at Stephen Cooks.

So even though I didn't actually buy the beautiful looking celeriac while in Montreal I had to take a picture to share with you all. Cook it Simply has general info on how to buy and cook it, and over at the Vegetarian Society I found this recipe for a spicy baked version and this one for a mushroom quiche. There are so many delicious looking recipes out there that now I truly am sorry I didn't buy the ones I saw in Montreal. Guess I'll have to do some hunting closer to home.



Related links:

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I don't think I've ever tasted celery root. I'll have to look for it. Blogger is being really buggy today, so far I can't even get in to try to write the recap, so hope for the best!

Ruth Daniels said...

Good luck with the roundup. Celeriac or celery root has a much milder, but still distinctive celery flavor.

indianadoc said...

Oh that is a lovely piece of info...I have always discarded those celery bulbs a little hesitatingly...ws always tempted to try it but ws not sure!Next time I can chop the celery stalks to the last bit...