Friday, May 19, 2006

Grilling and Chimichurri Times Two

As I’ve said before, I am especially eager for new food magazines this time of year for all the BBQ ideas. And naturally, since I’m partial to ribs, the June Food & Wine issue got me with the cover shot – Steven Raichlen’s Chinese Style Ribs with Guava BBQ Sauce.



But that’s for another post, this one’s all about the chimichurri. And what the heck IS chimichurri you ask? Well..Wikipedia defines it as a sauce used in Argentina and gives an interesting origin for the name.

I love the simple way Argentineans cook and the spicy sauce that often accompanies the meats. My first exposure was at a restaurant in Toronto many years ago when I was just a visitor- I don't remember the name but I do remember the meal! Unfortunately it no longer exists but my love for chimichurri continues. So I was ecstatic when I found not one but three versions (although only 2 caught my attention for now and I still am partial to the traditional one).

Usually in South America, Argentina in particular, meat, chicken and fish are grilled with little prep – just the pure good flavor of the meat, but I had flank steak which really does need marinating so I had to think of some marinade that wouldn’t fight for flavoring sensations. I chose the “Latin” version from my upcoming cookbook – Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories. I’m not sure how authentically Latin it is, but it makes me think “South of the Border” whenever I make it.

Traditional chimichurri is made with parsley and the spicy second choice is full of cilantro and jalapeno peppers (not for the faint of heart) so they are perfect for my favorite event - Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging. These recipes are from Michelle Bernstein. Next time I'm in Miami I will definitely be checking out her new restaurant - Michy's (and no I'm not getting paid to mention it! The article really was great- check it out)

Speaking about blogging events, don't forget I'm hosting Sugar High Friday and it's coming up really soon. I'm looking forward to all your ginger recipes.

Oh - I forgot to mention what's on the plate....starting from the top

Boneless chicken breasts just marinated with the Spicy Jalapeno Chimichurri

My take on Stephen of Stephen Cooks' simple sweet onion & cucumber salad (I just added some tomato wedges)

"Latin" Flank Steak with the traditional chimichurri

Recipes

"Latin" Flank Steak

Chimichurri Times Two

Related links:



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger... i always use ginger in my cooking so i always have a stash but have never used it for desserts - mind you, i'm not really fussed about desserts - but occasionally dip in [though not always finishing it]. I'm always full by the time desserts come. lol. Who knows, maybe one day my taste for desserts will change.

I'll be popping by and checking the round up. It sounds really interesting - always keen to know what people would come up with!

Kalyn Denny said...

I've seen himichurri in cookbooks but haven't made it. I can see I need to try it.

Joycelyn said...

hi ruth, looks totally awesome - i can almost taste that spicy, piquant flavour as we speak ;) thanks for hosting shf; look forward to reading the round-up...

Ruth Daniels said...

Ladies, thanks for dropping by.

Melissa, I couldn't agree more. I always keep pesto in the fridge and now I'll have chimichurri too.

Mae, I too focus more on the mains than dessert, but if it has ginger (or chocolate) I'm there.

Kalyn, once you've tried it you'll never look back.

J, I hope you're planning on doing something for SHF - your stuff is always so beautifully presented.

Anonymous said...

I also love chimichurri. I even love saying it! The sound of the word itself lets you know that you'll be eating something that makes you feel good.

Ruth Daniels said...

Sher, you are sooo right! It does sound as wonderful as it tastes.

I even added some into a meatloaf recipe. I'll be writing about it today or tomorrow.