Thursday, May 11, 2006

Chile Rubbed Chicken & Mango Salsa

It’s time again for one of my favorite blogging events – the Weekend Cookbook Challenge, conceived and hosted by two fabulous ladies – Ali of Something So Clever and Sara of I Like to Cook. This challenge is around Cinqo de Mayo and Mexican food from some un(or under) used cookbook. I also get to squeeze out another entry for Kalyn’s Weekend Herb Blogging event, my other fave happening.


Now when I think Mexico I think sun and heat and gorgeous colors – flowers, fabrics and of course food. I chose an ancho chile rubbed chicken with a mango mint salsa from the Williams Sonoma Chickenbook I bought some years ago and hardly ever use. In this recipe, mangos add color and chiles add the heat. And I planned to take photos outside on my patio sitting beside my baskets of brilliant red geraniums because the last few days have been sunny and warm.


Naturally today, the day I’m making my chicken it’s raining, so I’ll forget the artistic outdoor pictures and settle on the taste. Actually the weather reminds me of when my Honey and I went to Cancun on our honeymoon fifteen years ago. That was before it was a real tourist mecca. There were only a handful of hotels and lots of construction sites and very few restaurants to speak of either. To say nothing about the weather…we were expecting to spend lots of time in the water, and we did – sort of. It poured every day, so swimming was out, unless you call wading through puddles up to your ankles fun. And how many pieces of silver jewelry could you buy? There were no theatres and after running the gauntlet of “Hola, want to buy a time share?” we spent much of our time in our hotel room. I said it then and still say it to my honey today – “ good thing we like each other!”

But there was one splendid meal I do remember – a chicken mole that still makes me drool and I haven’t tasted one that compares, not before and not since. The blend of Mexican chocolate – and don’t be fooled into thinking you can substitute any other kind – and spices….sooooo good. I’ve tried several recipes and eaten it in several restaurant since, but I guess I have to go back to Cancun, the old town and hopefully find the little restaurant with guitar toting singers wearing serapes and sombreros.

So instead I chose this recipe and hope you like it.

Recipes


Related links:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dish, Ruth!

Sara said...

Sounds wonderful Ruth. I love anything with mango in it.

Anonymous said...

I will try this recipe over the weekend, as i have friends for dinner.