Tuscan-Style Ribs with Balsamic Glaze
Adapted from Fix it and Enjoy it!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinate: 2 – 24 hours
Oven time: 1 hour
4 lb/ 2kg pork ribs
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (1 tsp dried)
1 tbsp Kosher salt (coarse sea salt will do too)
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh sage (1 tsp dried)
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp dried)
1 tbsp paprika
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground allspice
¼- ½ cup balsamic vinegar for glazing
1. Combine all the rub ingredients, preferably in a mortar and pulverize with the pestle. If you don’t have one, use a coffee grinder or small electric food processor. Worst case scenario….put everything in a heavy duty zip lock baggie and bash it with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.
2. Rub the spice mixture over both sides of the ribs. Cover and either let them stand for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the fridge (second choice is always my FIRST choice)
3. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and place a rack on a baking pan with sides. Lay the ribs meaty side up on the rack and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes. They’re ready when no longer pink between the bones when you cut into the rack.
4. Preheat the broiler, leaving the ribs in the center of the oven. Brush with balsamic vinegar and broil for 3-5 minutes or until they start to caramelize.
5. Remove from the oven, let stand for five minutes and cut into smaller pieces (I usually cut a rack in half or thirds, depending on the size.
Great with salad or (if you’re not on South Beach, mashed potatoes and a side of something green).
Related links: Food and Drink recipes South Beach Diet