Thursday, August 25, 2005
Espresso Brownies with Crystallized Ginger
Espresso Chocolate Brownies with Crystallized Ginger
Inspired by Williams-Sonoma The Pacific Northwest
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Makes 16 squares
½ cup/125 g unsalted butter, softened
4 oz/125 g good dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70% cocoa extra fine dark chocolate)
3 tbsp espresso powder
2 cups/440g brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup/155g all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
½ cup crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
3 oz/90g dark chocolate, chopped
3 oz/90g white chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine butter 4 oz of chocolate and espresso powder. Stir frequently over low heat until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and add the brown sugar, mixing well until it is all blended.
3. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the eggs one at a time. Each egg should be completely mixed in before adding the next one. Add flour and salt and beat until combined. Fold in the nuts, ginger and the rest of the chocolate.
4. Prepare an 8”/20cm x 8”/20cm x 2”/5cm baking dish by lining it with buttered foil. Bake the brownies for 40 minutes or until the top cracks slightly and the cake pulls away from the sided of the pan.
5. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a rack until the brownies are completely cooled - at least 30 minutes before cutting them into squares.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes