Herb & Three Cheese Penne – Ultimate Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Donna Hay’s Magazine, Issue 22
Prep time: 20 minutes (most of which is to boil the water for the penne)
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Serves 4 (well the 2 of us ate it all, but the recipe said 4)
400g/14 oz penne (I used tri-colored, but next time I’m going for more traditional look of plain)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup chopped fresh oregano
150g/6 oz goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
Salt & pepper
1. In a large pot, boil salted water for noodles
2. Preheat broiler
3. Have all the ingredients ready, because it only takes a couple of minutes to assemble
4. Boil the noodles as per instructions on the package. This usually takes 10 minutes or so. The kind I used took only 4 and they were a little too mushy - which leads me to repeat “as per instructions on the package”. Drain.
5. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and the garlic just until you get that heavenly garlic aroma – about a minute. Add the pasta and herbs and toss. Add the goat and parmesan cheeses and toss again. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6. Divide the pasta into oven proof bowls or dishes and top with mozzarella (I used individual cannelloni dishes – longer and flatter for more cheese coverage)
7. Place under the broiler until the mozzarella is all melty and begins to turn golden.
Serve with a salad and some crusty bread and you’ll never eat regular mac & cheese again.
Related links: Food and Drink Recipes Pasta