Thursday, June 9, 2005

Herb & Three Cheese Penne - The Ultimate Mac & Cheese - The Recipe

Herb & Three Cheese Penne – Ultimate Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Donna Hay’s Magazine, Issue 22

Prep time: 20 minutes (most of which is to boil the water for the penne)
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Serves 4 (well the 2 of us ate it all, but the recipe said 4)

Ingredients:
400g/14 oz penne (I used tri-colored, but next time I’m going for more traditional look of plain)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup chopped fresh oregano
150g/6 oz goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
Salt & pepper

Directions:
1. In a large pot, boil salted water for noodles

2. Preheat broiler

3. Have all the ingredients ready, because it only takes a couple of minutes to assemble

4. Boil the noodles as per instructions on the package. This usually takes 10 minutes or so. The kind I used took only 4 and they were a little too mushy - which leads me to repeat “as per instructions on the package”. Drain.

5. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and the garlic just until you get that heavenly garlic aroma – about a minute. Add the pasta and herbs and toss. Add the goat and parmesan cheeses and toss again. Add salt & pepper to taste.

6. Divide the pasta into oven proof bowls or dishes and top with mozzarella (I used individual cannelloni dishes – longer and flatter for more cheese coverage)

7. Place under the broiler until the mozzarella is all melty and begins to turn golden.

Serve with a salad and some crusty bread and you’ll never eat regular mac & cheese again.

Related links:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading somewhere that Canadians are the biggest consumers of KD in the world. I will admit to an occasional weakness for it myself -- sometimes you need that distinctive orange hue in your mac and cheese! -- but this herby version sounds wonderful and considerably healthier. Looks easy enough to scale down for one, too.

Stephanie said...

You're never too grown-up for Mac & Cheese! It's one of my all time comfort food that transports me to childhood. When eating it, I even act like a kid. I kick back, slough, slobber over my mac & cheese and swing my legs side to side with a gleeful wiggle. It's grand.

I know I am going to love this recipe - how can you not?!!

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks for your comments ladies. It was so good I'm tempted to make it again tonight!

But no - it's been a long day in front of the computer polishing up my recipe links so I think we'll order in.

Thanks for dropping by and check out the links to recipes on the right side of the blog.