Monday, December 3, 2012

One-Armed Saga of Simple Meals Continues

Every cloud has a silver lining.  Mine has many.  My very dramatic fall, complete with the arrival of fire truck and ambulance trip to emergency, surgery - I now have a titanium plate in my forearm - at least was on my left wrist - first silver lining.  Although you'd be surprised at how dependent we are on our non-dominant hand.

Another silver lining... my family

In addition to my daughter, Sharron, taking time to fly in from Montreal for a few days, there has been lots of help from those here.
That's my Honey carving up a most delicious Grilled Flank Steak with Honey Soy Marinade.   The meat from my very good friends at Getaway Farms.  I don't feel comfortable jostling crowds on Saturday mornings yet, but I will be visiting during the week for more ingredients my Honey can cook.  

Which leads me to yet another silver lining - my daughter, Joanna brought the family over for a Friday night Shabbat dinner, complete with homemade challah, a Pumpkin & Apple Soup (sorry no recipe), Romaine Salad with a lovely sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, a "side" dish.. I use the term loosely... of Pasta with Kalamata Olives, feta and some of the tasty Marinara Sauce Sharron made, plus simple Roasted Salmon (similar to this one) so that we could have lots left over.

And yet another silver lining... working together in the kitchen with my Honey - I love our new arrangement!.  He's always done a mean BBQ and an awesome Sunday morning French Toast,  but normally I have done the cooking and he's been master of the clean up.   So far we've done a number of Scrambles and some great dinners together, like...
 Creamed Salmon on Toast - one of my favorite childhood comfort foods and
the other family favorite - Salmon Patties with Onions (hmmmm I can't believe I've never shared the recipe here!) served with Steamed New Potatoes and Broccoli with Lemon Butter.  

This cooking together I'm hoping will continue long after the cast comes off.  I'll keep you posted on our cooking adventures.  Now go off and think of some of your own silver linings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident and hope you heal quickly!
Cheers, Dee

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks, Dee. It's certainly a challenge to type, write and cook, but it's on the mend and my Honey has definitely been awesome about becoming chef and everything else.