Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Wintry Frittata for Weekend Herb Blogging


Not another fritatta, you say....personally, I can't think of a more versatile dish...always different and ever the easiest thing to whip up on a Sunday morning....especially since I can't find great Challah here in Halifax. Perhaps I'll start baking my own, but in the meantime...fritattas have become our Sunday tradition. And I've made a bazillion that you can find here. They're all slightly different, depending on the season, my mood and what's in my fridge.


This one is full of mushrooms - shitakes and cremini and there was some fresh thyme in the fridge crying out for my attention...a perfect marriage in my mind...that earthiness and richness was perfectly matched with the red onion, marinated roasted red peppers and roasted rosemary ham I picked up at the deli department of Pete's Frootique this week where I also found some fontina/fontana...not sure what name it goes by, but think mozarella with its chewiness and just a bit saltier. Put them all together and you have a rich, body & soul warming plate of goodness. So how could I not share with Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging Event (one of my all time favorites) and this week hosted by The Skinny Gourmet (don't I wish that were me...the skinny part, anyway)

6 comments:

Brilynn said...

You should try making the challah from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes. It makes a large quantity but you can just keep the dough in your fridge and tear off as much as you need at any given time, it's wonderful, (as is that frittata you've made!).

Marie Rayner said...

Hi Ruth, from a fellow Nova Scotian (Valley Girl), now living and working in England as a private chef on a Manor Estate and living the dream. I just discovered your page today and feel like I have come home! I love frittatas. If you have eggs and a few other tasty add ins you have dinner, or lunch or breakfast even! They are wonderfully versatile!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Unknown said...

yum! I love mushrooms, so this sounds divine to me.

Ruth Daniels said...

Brilynn, thanks for the tip...Artisan Bread in 5 minutes is on my list for the next time I buy some books. Yours looked awesome!

Marie, Glad to have brought a little "home" home. And thanks for buying my book ;-)

Skinny, I do love how every time I make a fritatta it's different and this one was tasty.

Thanks all for dropping by.

Katie Zeller said...

I love frittatas....any flavor!
And, need I say that anything 'wintry' is perfect for my present climate...brrrrr.....

Kalyn Denny said...

It does sound tasty, and I agree that thyme is great with mushrooms.