Sunday, May 6, 2007

Something New - Sort of Grilled Steak with Mushroom Sauce

Sara of I Like to Cook is doing another Weekend Cookbook Challenge. I love taking part in them, but have missed out on a couple due to our move to Halifax. (I promise to stop using that as an excuse very soon). The theme this time around is Something New.

The truth is, the book I'm using The Ultimate Mushroom Book is not new. It's not even mine. It is, however, the first book I turn to when staying at Joanna's (my Halifax daughter). I love mushrooms and this book not only shares some amazing recipes (The mushroom sauce I'm using here is actually served on toast in the book), but it also is the perfect book for those who want to pick their own wild mushrooms. Personally, I'm too chicken to pick my own, since some of the poisonous ones look exactly like the friendlies.

I did try something else that's new for me....I received an awesome package in the mail from TrueBlue. It's their so delicious, so good for you blueberry juice. You have to check out their site for all the healthful reasons to try it. As for me....I just like the taste. I swear it tastes like summer...make that Summer with a capital S! The site also has some recipes and I had to try the Savoury Vinaigrette.

So...my Something New:

  • First time making a BBQ in Halifax (Jo & Ezra's back balcony looks out at McGrath Lake, so the view is awesome.)
  • First time using lobster mushrooms (can't cook real lobster at Jo's - she's keeping a kosher-style kitchen. Poor Ezra will have to wait until we get our own place.)
  • First time making Blueberry vinaigrette.

Menu

Grilled Steak with Mixed Mushroom Sauce

Simple Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette

Related links:

1 comment:

Sara said...

How delicious! That mushroom sauce has me drooling. So glad to see you at WCC again Ruth.