Sunday, January 1, 2006

A Healthful New Year and Chickpea & Lentil Soup

Well it’s the first day of 2006 and I thought I’d start the year off with a healthful and delicious recipe I recently found at wholefoods.com. For many of us, the last couple of weeks have been focused around non-stop eating festive goodies loaded with calories, high in fat and sugar and served with abandon. So the other night I thought this recipe would somewhat counter the many fried latkes on the table as well as the sugar-topped jelly doughnuts.

I don’t really believe in New Year’s resolutions, given that they don’t last very long around here and then I just feel guilty. That said, I do try to start the year with a clean slate and good intentions. So here’s the first of many healthful recipes I plan on sharing.


This one is perfect as is, even for me, who never feels things are right unless I add my own personal spin.

It made a great lunch the next day served with my rosemary pecan biscotti and will definitely be repeated here often.

I wish you all the best year ever, filled with peace, prosperity and naturally, good meals eaten with friends and family.

Recipe



Related link:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this same recipe on line about a month ago and made it for a luncheon party for 12. It was a huge hit, and I will definitely make it again and again. So easy! I used the red lentils, since they were what I had on hand, and I skipped the charmoula.

Shauna said...

It looks gorgeous, as always. I can't wait to try it.

Happy New Year, dear Ruth.

Ruth Daniels said...

The recipe IS amazing and next time you make it I highly recommend the charmoula!!!

Shaun, thanks - I thought of you when I made it because Whole Foods mentions gluten-free vegetable broth - I didn't know that even vegetable broth could be a challenge!!

To both of you - Have an absolutely fabulous 2006

Anonymous said...

OMG, Ruth, you are so FABULOUS! I love this classy, yet unpretentious place. Thank you for being here.

Happy New Year! :o)

Cate said...

If you're eating healthier in the New Year, I hope you'll join in my ARF/5-a-Day Tuesdays event!

sailu said...

Ruth,this lentil soup is very similar to the dals we cook here in India.Great recipe and thanks for sharing.
Wish you a wonderful 2006!

s'kat said...

I am all for the onslaught of healthy recipes, bring it on, girl!

also, welcome back, and happy new year!

Ruth Daniels said...

Sweetnicks, I'm all for jumping on your ARF/five a day (not sure I'll hit 5, but hey).

Sailu, thanks for dropping by.

S'kat - I'll do my best.

And to everyone - here's looking at a great food-filled year ahead.