Sunday, June 9, 2013

Frittata - A Perfect Breakfast

If you ask me what to make for dinner when I a) have unexpected guests; b) am exhausted and don't even have the energy to check out a cookbook or the web; c) am plain brain dead... I'd say pasta, but if you ask me for the perfect breakfast/brunch I'd have to say...

frittata and if you check HERE you can see how often I share my inspirations with you. Simple to throw together, pop in the oven before you even brush your teeth or pour your coffee.  It can be elegant or rustic, spicy or subtle, and a perfect way to showcase each season.   Sometimes my inspirations come from visits to the market other times it includes whatever catches my eye in the fridge.   It's a perfect foil for leftovers.

The frittata at the top of the page had grilled chorizo sausages from Getaway Farm, eggs, leeks, mushrooms and ... something green from Noggins Corner plus Manchego cheese and a pinch or two of Dionysios Wild Herb Blend from Epices de Cru.
This one from last week was vegetarian and had shaved asparagus, beet greens and young leeks with some herbed goat cheese from Ran-Cher Acres and looked like this when it was done.
So when you're wondering about what to do for breakfast... even breakfast for dinner...think no further.

The recipe couldn't be simpler -
1.  Blindly wander into the kitchen and preheat the oven to 375F/180C and if possible use a cast iron skillet.  I love 8" ones, they're perfect for two or four or two with some left over for the next day.  No cast iron, have no fear, just use an ovenproof skillet.

2. Beat 4-5 large eggs and set aside.  Coarsely chop whatever you fancy, add a pinch or two of herbs or spices,  some grated cheese and heat your skillet

3. Heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil  over medium high heat and start adding your ingredients - eggs and cheese last.  First for me is usually onions or leeks, then either finely chopped raw potatoes, raw bacon or pancetta or other raw ingredients that take some time to cook.  Next for me is mushrooms, when I'm adding them.  Once all those are pretty tender add any cooked meats, chicken or fish.  Before adding the eggs, it's time to add any greens - Swiss chard, spinach, shaved asparagus...the list is endless.  Once they are wilted it's time for the last stove top step.

4.  Add your cheese, herbs and/or spices to the eggs, whisk and pour over everything in the skillet.  Gently scoop and toss until the eggs envelop the "filling" for lack of a better word and toss so that everything is well blended.  

5. Sprinkle with some paprika and pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes... more than enough time to brush your teeth and shower.

What would be some of your favorite ingredients to add to your perfect frittata?  I'm always looking for new options.

2 comments:

Goody said...

As moving day inches closer, my frittatas have become more imaginative. Tonight, I combined leftover baked beans, macaroni and cheese, and some onions into a pretty terrific dinner. The kiddo looked at me like I'd lost my mind,but he ate it happily enough. I'm not sure I even knew what a frittata was before I started reading your blog years ago, but it has become a real staple for our family.

I totally owe you!

Ruth Daniels said...

So nice to hear