Friday, July 20, 2012

Salmon - another Super Food

I'm still recovering from Wednesday night's Surf & Turf extravaganza, so last night's dinner was a much simpler affair...

I grilled some salmon and some asparagus and called it a day.

I knew I wanted the salmon.  I knew I wanted to use the BBQ (way to hot to heat up the kitchen).  I just didn't know what I wanted to use as a glaze or marinade.  Not to mention that we were too hungry by the time I got home to wait for me to soak the cedar plank.

When in doubt, I usually go to one of my stash of Tangled Garden jellies...ginger lime thyme being one favorite - but I happen to be out at the moment...on my list for the farmers market tomorrow.   That said, in my fridge I discovered a few jars of my own options from some recent dinners... like the Apple Cider Vinegar BBQ Sauce - or the Garlicky BBQ Sauce with Bourbon & Pear Chutney (using up the last of last year's jars).   So many choices...naturally the only way to resolve my dilemma is to do the taste test.    And the winner is...
which was a perfect choice and all I wanted was a simple side of grilled asparagus, served with some Parmiggiano-Reggiano grated right at the table.  


As for why I love Atlantic salmon... in addition to the wonderful flavour - it's healthy.  You can read all the details HERE as to why it's considered a super food), but here are a few highlights:
  • Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids - considered a brain food, an eye health food, a lowerer of cholesterol...
  • High in Vitamin D - keeps bones strong, protects lungs from smoke..
  • Tryptophan - I never heard of it before, but apparently it relaxes the nervous system - no wonder I feel so calm after dinner 
  • Selenium - associated with reduced joint inflammation, and helps in the prevention of certain cancers and cardiovascular diseases
As for Asparagus...high in folic acid, potassium, fibre, thiamine and lots of vitamins.  It's a great natural diuretic, with according to this article, and who am I to argue..."mood & body boosting nutrients".   And I thought I loved it because it's so cool looking.

What's your favorite healthy meal?   And stay tuned for the Presto Pasta Night Roundup, which should be up soon.  



No comments: