Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Food Resolutions - Or Not

It is the beginning of a new year... 2012!  I want to wish all of you a year ahead filled with peace, prosperity and good health.  And while we all can't win the big lottery, and, much as I would like to see world peace happen anytime soon, I'm also a realist.  That said, we can take some steps to improving our health.

January is the time of making resolutions... losing weight and saving money are usually at the top of most lists.   Personally, over the years I've rejected making New Year's resolutions, since I, more often than not, fall off the wagon way before January turns into February and my personal failures depress me.  So this year,  my ONE resolution is to do what I can in moderation.  

I'm still adding sugar & brown sugar to my baked goods.  I'll leave diet sweeteners to others and just make/eat in moderation.   But I am trying to incorporate more whole grains, nuts, and fruits into our diet.  These Oatmeal Pecan Blueberry Muffins fit the bill.  They're made with oats, whole wheat flour, oat bran and pecans for much needed fibre.  Blueberries add that magical antioxidant to the mix.  The hardest part is to eat just one!
As for trying to save money... my plan is to be more careful when I shop for food.  Still favoring shopping at the farmers market even though it seems to cost a little more sometimes, but the food is fresher and lasts longer, not to mention how great I feel supporting local farmers and food artisans.  The careful part... remember the adage "your eyes are bigger than your stomach"?  My mother used to tell me that when I overloaded a plate.   For me, it will be to try to envision my week's meals and shop only for those ingredients that I can use up before my next trip to the market.  
Most important... to use my leftovers!  I always intend on it, but somehow... things find their way, in containers... to the back of the fridge... all "whiskery".  Frittatas and Scrambles are a perfect breakfast/brunch/lunch/supper option.  This time it was filled with smoked chorizo and roasted vegetables left over from pre-New Year's Eve brunch with the family.
Of course there's always pasta... using multigrain options for a rich, nutty texture and taste and some simple ingredients that are always in my fridge or freezer.   (Photo is of the Tangy Spicy Shrimp Chorizo Pasta I made a while back) Tonight...I think will be, either, a take on a Nigella Lawson recipe for Linguine with Lemon, Garlic, Thyme & Mushrooms that I found while wandering the web, or Gemelli with Roasted Cauliflower, Tomatoes & Bread Crumbs (from that whole wheat baguette I'm turning into garlic croutons) from The Lazy Gourmet.  

Speaking of pasta... don't you love my segue....  It's my turn to host the first Presto Pasta Night Roundup of 2012 this Friday!!!  Please send all your fantastic choices our way.  Just write... link to Presto Pasta Nights and Once Upon a Feast ... and send me your link via email   ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by Thursday night.  

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There will always be pasta Ruth and I agree with the everything in moderation philosophy as well. My heartfelt wishes for an outstanding year!!

Joanne said...

These are some excellent food resolutions and I totally agree with your moderation stance!