Saturday, April 16, 2011

Passover Seder Menu

It's that time of year again, when I start getting serious about my Passover Seder Menu. For the last few years, I've only had to make a side dish or two, or even better, spent the day in Joanna's (my older daughter)Kitchen preparing together or playing Grandma, and keeping little boys occupied while Mummy cooked. The photo is of Joanna, Sharron (my baby who couldn't make it this year) and me.

This year, the first seder is at our house and we'll be ten... small compared to the twenty or so I used to feed when we lived in Montreal, years ago. And, I even have help with the menu. My son-in-law's (Ezra) mother will be making the chopped liver, potato kugel and bringing dessert. Ezra's sister, who is a great baker will be making a flourless cake.

For those of you still hunting for a new dish or two to add, I hope this gives you some idea. The photos here are for those traditional dishes I've made time and time again. The rest will be photographed - hopefully - on Monday and added later. Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls Gefilte Fish (I buy the frozen prepared logs and just boil them up, but I do make my own horseradish sauce - Chrain)

Cheryl's Chopped Liver

Bitter Greens Salad with Berries & Citrus Vinaigrette

Brisket with Mushroom Rub & Gravy Potato Kugel (Cheryl's making hers, but this is my recipe)

Roasted Asparagus (without the cheese - just a balsamic drizzle)

Gingery Carrots, otherwise known as Tsimmis

Dessert... surprises

That's on top of the ritual eating during the actual Seder portion. For those who are wondering what that is. This Wikipedia explains it quite well. So in addition to the lamb shank bone & one egg that roasts along with the brisket boiled eggs in salted water for everyone, there's the Charoset or mortar - a sweet mixture to remind us of the mortar Jewish slaves used to build the pyramids in Egypt. This year my friend Jane of Janes on the Common found a new recipe for it that I'm going to try too. Pistachio & Dried Fruit version from Bon Appetit and it sounds delicious.

All in all, I think I'm ready... just need to buy some stretchy pants to wear after all this eating!

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It all sounds like a reason to celebrate Ruth.