Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Trip to the Farmers Market 2011

First trip to the Halifax farmers markets in 2011. I was so excited, I forgot to check in with 4square or take any photos. It's still a "winter" market, meaning lots of the fresh produce vendors are still missing and the ones that are there are mostly selling root vegetables.

That said, I still managed quite a score... some of the packages are chuck stewing beef for the Hearty Beef Stew with Preserved Lemons & Olives I'll be serving it to our friends tomorrow night for dinner. They're from Getaway Farm. The smoked turkey from Sweet Williams Country Sausage will make a great lunch - grilled sandwich with bread from Julien's Bakery and Garlic Gouda from Foxhill Cheese House . The Turkey Fennel sausages (also from Sweet Williams) is for a terrific looking pasta dish in my Everyday Food Fresh Flavor Fast (I wrote about it almost a year ago and just flipped through it again - two dishes coming up this week - the pasta & a hot spinach dip).

The mache and microgreens are from the Hutten Family Farm will star in tomorrow night's salad. I just have to figure out which dressing to make it really shine.

No time for more shopping because we had all day plans with kids & grandkids. We met up for a weekend brunch and then said bye-bye to mom & dad (who got the day off). And then it was off to the Museum of Natural History with Boaz & Dov. We missed out on T Rex and his friends... the dinosaurs will be arriving next week, but we still had a great time.

The second we got back to our place, Boaz (4) and I raced to the kitchen to whip up some of Norene Gilletz's amazing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

... to help keep our energy level high for the rest of the day. And I just had to share this picture of Dov (2) relaxing after his bath. How delicious an end to a perfect day.

2 comments:

pam said...

That is quite the haul!

Johanna GGG said...

snap! I went to my first farmers market of 2011 today today - first for ages and it felt good to eat the good food we got from there - cookies look lovely and dov looks cute