Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Getting Through November Blahs

I am usually a "glass much more than half full" kind of girl, but November changes that... at least for a while. It starts with turning the clocks back an hour... like I need more darkness in the morning, my favorite time of day! Dreary, damp, dull days don't pick me up either. So I was "over the moon" happy to hear that finally the Halifax Seaport Market was going to be open Fridays, Sundays and Wednesdays in addition to the usual Saturday morning.

Last Friday, I went with my daughter and the boys, expecting a regular farmers market plus International Day... whatever that meant. I discovered that there are almost no farmers present - in fact only Selwood Green was there, but a glorious opportunity to sample the flavours of the world...
...think street food from India (Masai Dosai and so much more. We had some of this because it brought back wonderful memories of Joanna's trip to India and she hasn't had any Masai Dosai since then. It's a South Indian street food favorite),
and there's... sweets & snacks from Indonesia,
Perogi from Poland
Jerk & Curries from Antiqua, as well as Jamaica, and Sri Lanka (curry)... the list goes on and on. There are also wonderful imported goods to buy as well and pretend you're in some exotic marketplace at the other side of the world (preferably one with more sunshine). Naturally, the foodie in me only to photos related to eating, but the jewelry, and other wonderful handmade treasures from far away lands will make some wonderful holiday gifts. Check out the Chronicle Herald's article about the project.

And back to November blahs... see how hard it is to keep the positive in me down for long? ... I went back to the market on Saturday - I've missed a few and it was the shock of normal November that hit me. While my favorite fish, meat, bread & cheese guys were there, I noticed the slimmed down produce vendors and the focus on root veg and hearty greens like kale. Not that this is a bad thing. Don't get me wrong. I love chatting with the vendors, and some like Julien's, Foxhill Cheese, Gourmandises Avenue have permanent shops on the periphery. The Fish Shop should have its own place in another week or two. And come December right through March, I'll be happy for a taste of fresh, local deliciousness to bring home.

In fact, it's the first Wednesday that farmers will be there, so I think I'll head out for a fix.... more about that later. In the meantime, what's your "November Blah" and what cures it?

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I hate how it gets dark at 4pm now. What a buzzkill! It's turning my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) up way too many notches. Looks like you had a lot of fun food at that market though!