Monday, November 1, 2010

A Busy Weekend and a Great Pasta Dinner


To say this weekend was busy is an understatement. Friday night, our son-in-law was playing in a band (he's very talented) and while the parents played, Poppa (AKA my Honey) and I had a sleep over with the boys... who didn't go to bed until almost 11!!!

Saturday morning, the boys were getting ready for Hallowe'en parties
...That's Super Mario
...and his sidekick Dov, the giraffe.

After their party, Boaz and I had our own date. We went to see the Wiggles - live! And didn't get home until supper time. At which point I knew that everyone would be starving. Lucky me, I just got a copy of Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? I'll be writing much more about it soon, but on initial flip through I knew the recipe for Spicy Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti would be perfect. In fact, I made the meatballs on Friday before heading over to the kids house. The aroma of the meatballs roasting away was awesome - I'm drooling just thinking about them. And although it sounds sort of boring, it's anything but - there's delicious Italian sausage and prosciutto mixed in with the turkey... not to mention a good pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

I put a large pot of water on the stove, with instructions for my Honey to turn it on when I called to say we were on our way home. That way I'd only need 10 minutes to heat up the sauce and boil the pasta. I did switch it up a bit, using farfalle - great for pudgy, little fingers - instead of spaghetti.
And I had prepared the salad, winter greens, watermelon radishes, sliced apple in advance - the balsamic vinaigrette in a separate jar ready for shaking and tossing. The photo of the pasta at the top of the post was the best I could do, given that everyone was sitting at the table in eager anticipation of the eating - no time for fancy photography.

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Nights. I'm this week's host, so if you have a great pasta to share, please send me your entry - ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by Thursday so it can be a part of Friday's roundup. ... And now I think I need a nap!

No comments: