Friday, September 24, 2010

Word On The Street Festival

I confess....I love books. I know you're probably saying "So? Lots of us love books." ... but I mean I don't just love to READ them, I need to OWN them. And moving from one home to another...the major disagreement has always been around the number of books I needed to take.

I love everything about books...how they feel in my hands, how the pages smell...that chemical new book smell or that musty old book aroma equally transport me. I love how they look....from battered to crisp and shiny. All that to say that this Sunday there is a festival in town that's made for me and the rest of us book lovers. It's called Word on the Street and I'm even more excited because I've been invited to participate! In fact, I'll be speaking at 12:30 on the Flavours of the Maritimes Stage - How Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories. If you happen to be in Halifax this Sunday (September 26th), check out all the fun at Victoria Park (across the street from the Public Gardens on Spring Garden Road) and don't forget to come and say "hi".

The festival runs from 11am to 5pm and you can join in the fun, listening to great authors like Lesley Crewe (I loved her book Hit & Mrs and am looking forward to reading her latest Her Mother's Daughter) and following discussions from current events to folklore. There's a kids stage and a kids zone with lots of cool activities and I've heard that the Hamachi Restaurants will be dishing up food...in other words, it's going to be great fun for kids of all ages.

And if you're not in Halifax, but will be in Vancouver, Saskatoon, Kitchener or Toronto, then check out their lineups.

No comments: