Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beat the Heat With Local Ingredients

It's Tuesday and last week I somehow didn't get it together to enter a post to a great little carnival. You can read all about Two for Tuesdays! Carnival here, but the bottom line...eat real food rather than instant and packaged. And, certainly when I can, I shop at farmers' markets and eat as locally as possible. It really does make a difference in taste. If you've ever been to a tropical country and tasted fresh mangos, papayas, pineapple, etc...you know exactly what I mean. The taste pales by the time it gets to your table. That said, I'm never going to be a 100 mile girl...local garlic won't be around for months and it's like air...I can't live without it. But I digress.

What I mean is, I choose locally grown and raised ingredients first and then branch out. It's so easy to do...especially this time of year when produce is so plentiful. And when the weather is brutally hot as it is here, frankly, I want to spend as little time in the kitchen as is humanly possible. My secret weapon for the heat...a bag of mixed greens from Ted Hutten Family Farm. Every bite is wonderful - interesting mix of salad greens, Asian greens (their speciality) and mustard greens. It really doesn't take much work to make it the perfect focal point of any meal. Just drizzle a little olive oil, spritz some lemon juice or your favorite vinegar and really - you're done and everyone will be in Heaven.
Another favorite of mine...Mixed Greens with Roasted Beets & Carrots with Cumin, Feta & Mint (you do the beet & carrot roasting early in the morning when it's still cool in the kitchen) . Either of these are perfect light meals on their own or great sides to go with some grilled meat...
...like this awesome Spiced Rub Skirt Steak (served here with an easy Lemon, Garlic Pasta that could be prepared in the morning and served as a salad. The skirt steak is from my very favorite meat purveyor at the market... Getaway Farm... grass fed beef at its best.
And if we weren't about to move I'd be preserving some of these gorgeous strawberries that are finally in season here. Oh well...we will be in our new home by blueberry season.

Add your REAL FOOD link at the bottom of Girlichef's post and then leave a comment so she'll know you've joined in this week! And remember, your link will show up at all 4 host sites for Two for Tuesdays!

3 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Wow Ruth! That's a whole lot of goodness packed into one post...thanks so much for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week =)

Hunger and Thirst said...

You're so right about the mixed greens. I've got an enormous tub planted with a salad mix sitting on my front porch. I paid about $2 for the package of seeds, and that box of greens has provided a nearly instant meal daily for about three months now.

Bonnie said...

All of these dishes look fabulous. The mixed greens are so colorful and delicious looking. Something for everyone in this post.