Thursday, January 28, 2010

Simple Really Says It Best

Yesterday was actually my very first outing since coming down with a cold last Saturday. I really know it's practically over because I wanted something other than soup or scrambled eggs and toast. That said after a couple of hours with my daughter and two very energetic toddlers, followed by a couple of errands (more about that on the weekend), I was pooped.

Too pooped to make the lovely sounding Cavatelli with Cauliflower - a teaser recipe I got to promote Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's latest book, which I would love to have....Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes I promise to make it sooner than later.

In the meantime, I did have the energy to come up this this tasty dish - no real recipe required.
  • Place two salmon fillets on a tin foil covered rimmed baking sheet.
  • Preheat the oven to 400F/200C
  • Spritz some lemon juice and sprinkle some fresh oregano (or dill), a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and a light dusting of paprika over the fish
  • Roast for 10-15 minutes (until it is cooked through but still very juicy)
While the salmon was roasting, I made the salad, which was just some spicy mixed greens tossed with some grated Asiago cheese, a drizzle of good olive oil and another drizzle of six year old Balsamic vinegar flavored with wild Nova Scotia Blueberries (discovered in the back of my pantry - and so glad I did).

Simple does say it best. It was delicious, easy, healthful, and a breeze to clean up after. What do you cook (or want to eat, at least) when you start to recover?


Bellini Valli said...

So happy to hear you are on the mend Ruth.

The Food Hunter said...

I just got Lidia's new book and I love it. Glad you're starting to feel better.