Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cookbooks Low on List of Holiday Best

Perhaps I have a skewed view when it comes to books. Don't get me wrong, I love to read just about anything put in front of me. My favorite bedtime reading is usually novels - total escapism - which includes mysteries, fantasy (at least that's usually the heading...books like The Mists of Avalon, for one), historical novels, and classics like Jane Eyre ,which is on my night stand at the moment.

All that being true, I do head directly to cookbooks when I enter a book store and I'm lucky enough to get lots of evaluation copies of food related books from publishers to share with you. So perhaps I'm naive to be shocked that the email from Amazon with the top 100 books for 2009 was very short on cookbooks. In fact of the editors choice - zero; customer overall top 100 - 6 and 5 of those were some sort of diet related books.

If you actually go down the left hand column you can find a link to the top ten cookbooks of 2009. Only one or two are actually on my list....so I thought I'd share two lists with you...

Top ten I already own and love, in no particular order, and why I love them :

Best of Chef at Home

Earth to Table

Quick Vegetarian Pleasures

A Year in Lucy's Kitchen

Anita Stewart's Canada

Beyond the Great Wall

The Craft of Baking

Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

plus the three by Jamie Oliver, the four by Donna Hay and the four Barefoot Contessa and...

And just a few on my personal wish list...hint, hint.
Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals because I love everything Jamie Oliver writes.

Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller because it looks awesome!

Pasta Et Cetera a la di Stasio because I love pasta and Josee di Stasio's first book was amazing.

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do Ruth.I have 2 of those books.Great list!!