Wednesday, July 15, 2009

First Day of South Beach Diet Phase II

Well...so far so good. It's day two of South Beach Diet, Phase II and I haven't quite succumbed to overdoing the new additions to the diet. Supper was delicious - simple grilled salmon steak (here's one recipe to play with) over a salad of mixed greens, cucumber, sweet red pepper, arugula and...a version of Chimichurri which is very Argentinean and one of my favorite ways to perk up the ordinary. It's always a mixture of herbs and hot peppers or pepper flakes. This time around I added garlic scapes to the cilantro, parsley, green onions, jalapeno pepper, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice.

Wait a minute...doesn't that look alot like SBD, phase one dinners? It does and let me explain.

Dr Agatston advises adding the one good carb and one serving of fruit during the day and advises against breakfast (it increases the sugar cravings). Doing it slowly allows your body to adjust to the new (again) addition of sugar to your system.

Breakfast was a hard boiled egg and more V8 juice because I knew I was going to try a new Latin restaurant in the neighborhood with Sharron (in for a day off of nannying) because she's a serious fan of Latin foods. I had a small Doblada - folded corn flour tortilla filled with beef - so that was my carb for the day. No photos because I left my camera at home, genius that I am.

But lunch was my real treat... yoghurt and ...wait for it...wait for it....

STRAWBERRIES and I savored every mouthful. (Okay, this is a photo from last summer, because I was too busy eating to stop and take a picture). Three quarters of a cup of juicy, red, sweet, fresh strawberries and 4 oz of vanilla yoghurt. Wonderful!

Most of our dinners will be very SBD, Phase I friendly, but tonight I am planning for my first pasta and I still haven't decided what that will look like. Stay tuned.

And don't forget that Joanne of Eats Well With Others will be doing the honors. Send your entries to jhbruno87 (at) gmail (dot) com and cc me ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com

Guidelines to share your pasta dishes.

And if you'd like to host a Presto Pasta Night Roundup yourself, just send me an email. September 25th is available as well as lots of dates in October and beyond. What are you waiting for...it's great fun and a fabulous way to get introduced to other awesome bloggers.

1 comment:

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like a delicious dinner--I am a chimichurri fan and those strawberries are gorgeous!