Wednesday, June 10, 2009

When Life is Crazy, There's Always Pasta

Most crazy days, I make pasta because I've run out of time and I'm brain dead and can't even think about following a real recipe. Then there are days like today...hard to explain in a nutshell, so let me walk you through part of it....or you could just skip to the recipe, but where's the fun in that?

I recently received a copy of The Flavors of Asia which is a beautiful cookbook with photos and recipes from China, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Korea and India. More about the book later this week, but for now, just know that it had my head spinning (including lots of noodle dishes for PPN).

Instead of the usual blank after a long day of writing, I had way too many ideas....most of them having nothing to do with pasta and I really wanted to get my entry in to Katie of Thyme for Cooking, this week's wonderful Presto Pasta Night host. I bought salmon, thinking I'd just roast it and make a very simple herb, oil and garlic pasta side dish. Then I thought that, since I'm planning some Indian dishes tomorrow, I'll use the salmon tandoor-style. I have shrimp in the freezer and I bought some baby arugula because there's an awesome looking recipe in Jamie Oliver's new magazine - Jamie Magazine (what else would it be called?!), but I want to make either the Goan Shrimp Curry or the Masala Shrimp & Avocado tomorrow too. And will I be able to make these things tomorrow when my wonderful grandson is over...probably not too much (unless I start really, really early - before he gets here).

Big sigh.....so what should I make for supper? Easy - the package of fresh sacchetti in the fridge that caught my eye earlier in the week - the little pouches are stuffed with brie, ricotta and roasted garlic. How could I resist. Throw in a handful of arugula and some fresh oregano and mix it all together with my favorite Ran-Cher Acres goat cheese seasoned with cayenne pepper and has quite a kick. I fluctuate from cayenne to Italian herb or chive, but never, never stray from Ran-Cher, which has the best goat cheese in Nova Scotia - perhaps all of Canada....but I digress...and here is the very tasty, very easy...


So what are you making for Presto Pasta Night this week? Link to Thyme for Cooking and send your entries to thyme2.kate (at) gmail (dot) com and cc me ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com

And we're still looking for guest hosts for July 10, 31 and August 28th. If you're interested, just send me an email.

6 comments:

pam said...

I saw the Jamie mag at the store, but somehow managed to forget to buy it. Do you like it?

Ruth Daniels said...

Pam, truth is, at $13 Cdn it's pricey. I did buy this one...focus on Italy and tons of great dishes (including pasta) but there are more articles and I'd flip through to see if you are really interested in them before buying. My guide...if I like at least 3 recipes or articles while standing in line ;-)

Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of Sacchettini but now I want some!! (I'm guessing they are similar to ravioli, agnolotti or tortelloni?)

-Elizabeth

Ruth Daniels said...

They're small little pouches, stuffed with all sorts of delicious fillings. Think small square with perhaps 1/4 tsp filling and then the four corners gathered together and twisted a bit, like a pouch. I love them.

Katie Zeller said...

Olives and goat cheese - a perfect combination... add in the stuffed pasta.... YUM!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

could eat this any day of the week. Love stuffed pasta