Friday, June 5, 2009

Eating Locally Produced Food

I'm rarely accused of standing on soap boxes spouting my points of view. And I'm often guilty of eating fruit and vegetables out of season...or that I just can't get here..like the mangos I bought yesterday that come from Columbia. And I'm aware ...very aware of our long, cold Canadian winters where the only foods grown are done so in a hot house.

But seriously people....when you can choose produce, meat and fish that grown/fished in your neck of the woods; food that tastes sweeter, fresher and ...well just better - why would anyone not choose to eat food grown close by!?! I hope you watch this clip and consider your options, wherever you live.

2 comments:

Sweet Kitchen said...

Thanks for highlighting this important issue. Growing up in an Italian household, eating seasonally and locally was always front and centre - it's just part of the culture and the cuisine. In Canada, it's a real challenge to eat locally all the time in our climate but every little bit helps!

Kristin said...

I try- although the blueberries were calling to me the other day- from Florida, at least they were from USA....
http://sogkonniteliving.blogspot.com/