Friday, March 20, 2009

Salmon - Which Camp are You?

It's not that I NEVER cook salmon any other way, as my daughter implied. There are at least thirty different salmon recipes I've shared here (the photo is with Lime & Jalapeno ). And many of them I'm made a number of times. That said, I don't know of any fish that I like better, flavor-wise, anyway and hate masking it, no matter how good the marinade or glaze. And so my question to you...which camp are you in...marinate or simple herbs on your salmon?

But let me back up a day....on Wednesday, Joanna and I took the boys to a very cool cafe (used to be called Bean Sprout Cafe) That's Boaz playing with the trains and mummy in the foreground feeding Dov on a comfy couch (don't know who that pretty little girl is playing a the stove)...good food AND fun place for Boaz to play...Dov only wanted to be held and fed, but he is only three and a half months old.


Over lunch (very tasty paninis), we discussed yesterday's supper. Boaz and I spend Thursdays together and sometimes his mummy & daddy come over with the baby for supper, and sometimes they leave the baby with us and have a "date night"...aren't we terrific grandparents? Not knowing which they'd do (expecting a last minute decision), I picked up some beautiful salmon fillets at the grocery store on my way home.

Yesterday, my angel wasn't feeling too well and needed lots of TLC - no problem for Grandma, but it meant I couldn't get much time in the kitchen. Not even enough time to check out recipes for something new or to prepare some marinade for the salmon. So, twenty minutes before it was time to eat, I roasted the salmon with just a drizzle of Apple Cider Balsamic Vinegar and a dash or two of Aleppo Pepper. Too rushed and crazy to take photos, sorry...ever try getting an under-the-weather two year old to eat? Have some chicken fingers (his usual fave) "NO WAY, Gramma!", what about some lentil soup (loved last time)...repeat refrain. How about yoghurt (my fall back plan) same story. I know...new Boaz favorite - dollop of peanut butter on a banana, bitten off and then a new coat of peanut butter to be applied...wrong.


And since my Honey and I had to take turns eating while the other snuggled a tired little boy watching Finding Nemo for the gazillianth time...I had lots left over for sandwiches etc..

I find that simple does it best, especially if you know you're probably going to have lots of leftovers. I hate when everything tastes the same.

9 comments:

Maria said...

The salmon looks perfect and I love paninis, we make them all of the time!

Authentic Seacoast Company said...

Atlantic salmon is delicious, simple or dressed up. We think it’s a matter of the mood you’re in. For simple, we like planked Atlantic salmon with a corn & red pepper salsa, baby potatoes and crisp asparagus. Paired with a nice Pinot Noir, it’s an easy spring dinner. For a different take, we love making Atlantic salmon cakes. Combined with Shitake mushrooms and a lemon grass fennel jam, this is a tasty twist that people always enjoy. Here’s a link to the recipe:

DesBarres Manor Dining & Recipes

However you choose to cook it, Atlantic salmon is a healthy and delicious meal.

Anonymous said...

Dpn't mess with my Salmon! When I pay that much money for a great piece of fish that tastes so wonderful, I want to keep it as close to the original as possible. Why would I marinate salmon?

Herbs yes, Marinade, Nada.

Ruth Daniels said...

Authentic...all those dishes sound amazing, but the way to my heart will be the salmon shitake cakes. Definitely on the menu this week!

pam said...

I like my salmon simple too.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love salmon on my plate with a knife and fork...wink....I just love it no matter how it is prepared.

Anonymous said...

I'm a marinade kind of girl - give me a nice tender piece of salmon that is glazed with teriyaki or any kind of ctirus and I'm a happy camper! :)

Daniel said...

An interesting question. One of the great things about salmon is how flexible a food it is. You can do almost ANYTHING with it, and the fact that you have so many salmon recipes on your blog is just further proof of how great a food it is.

That being said, I tend to go simple with my salmon as well. Usually marinades are very salt- and sodium-heavy and I've always been of the view that using too much salt is just a little bit like cheating. :)

Dan
Casual Kitchen

Crawfish said...

Mouthwatering! I agree with you. I simply love it natural. Hey try to include this in your recipe!
It's
Crawfish from Louisiana.