Wednesday, November 12, 2008

That Cookbook Thing II Tournedos Sautes Chassseur

Like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland ..."I'm late, I'm late for a very important date". Last weekend the Cookbook Thing II (last month's entry) organized by Mike of Mel's Diner was supposed to have the gang making Julia Child's Tournedos Sautes Chasseur.

Somehow I forgot...and as the girls in the orphanage in Annie would say..."Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!" Do you think I've been watching too much tv with my little grandson? Never the less, the quotes are apt.

First, let me warn you...if you are on a budget this dish is not for you. There is a fancy grocery in town with a very good butcher, but I didn't have time to go there for the real tournedos...fancy word for filet of beef. So I went to my local grocery and spent $22 for 3 little filets mignon, thinking my Honey would need more than the one that could fit in the palm of my hand. The butcher told me they were good, but not as good as real tournedos. Can you imagine what it would have cost for the real deal? I'd need an armoured truck to carry around that much cash.

Second, this dish is rich...in more ways than just the cost of the meat. If you know Julia Child, then you know that she had a serious love affair with butter.

Now that you have been forwarned...and if you're still reading this...the meal was fantastic. Not something I'd make every day, but certainly worthy of a special occasion. And truthfully, it's not that hard to put together as long as you really mise en place (French for get all the ingredients ready before you start cooking).

The entire meal took 15 minutes to cook...much longer, frankly, to clean up all that greasy butter and oil splatter on the stove and surrounding counters.

As sides, I chose to make my Roasted Smashed Potatoes because they are unbelievably delicious and incredibly easy to make. And I also served it with sauteed baby arugula that simply took as long as it takes to wilt the leaves, toss in some crushed garlic and a dash of balsamic vinegar (3 minutes, max). The bitterness of the arugula cut the richness of the mushroom sauce that topped the steak.

3 comments:

pam said...

What a special dinner!

Sara said...

and i thought bc was expensive! i got 2 tenderloins for about $14. are they as nice as filets? yours look terrific, ruth!

Deborah said...

Hey, just to make you look good, I posted mine even later than yours!

I thought the dish was fantastic (I made a couple of mods, too) - but I agree: not even a once a month dish, much less "Everyday" type of meal.