Thursday, September 25, 2008

Weekend Cookbook Challenge - Garlic

I love Weekend Cookbook Challenge, conceived of by the fabulous Sara of I Like to Cook, and I always intend on entering some dish, I do. But my life feels as if I'm running on an out-of-control treadmill...running very fast, but not seeming to actually get anywhere. But enough whining...I really couldn't resist this WCC challenge...garlic!!! Carla of Chocolate Moosey is hosting and she must have known I'd never pass up the opportunity to cook something garlicy. My father used to say I didn't know how to cook anything without garlic. Not true...but...then again, why would anyone want to, I wonder!

Since I'm always cooking with lots of garlic...sometime to my daughters' chagrine. It was challenging to come up with a dish where the star was the garlic, after all, it's really just supposed to add some flavor.

The first dish that came to mind was Chicken or Duck with Forty Cloves of Garlic, but I figured lots of people would do that. I have at least five cookbooks on my shelves that have very tempting versions, so if no one else does one for the roundup, I'll have to write one myself and share it with you. Actually, slow roasting just sweetens the garlic...sooooo good!

Okay, I'll stop drooling...then I thought of the Garlic Studded Roast Beef that melts in your mouth...a recipe I got from my ex-mother-in-law many years ago...it's in my own cookbook, if you're interested.

Or there's the basic recipe for roasted garlic, but that too....I'm sure someone will come up with the definitive version. Just in case, I did write my simple instructions in this recipe from Healthy, Hearty Roasted Carrot & Navy Bean Soup.

But then it happened....I was writing about Anita Stewart's Canada cookbook (it's awesome) and happened to flip to ...


and I knew I had to share it with you all. It's so simple and really everyone will think they're just getting a grilled steak...nothing wrong with that, but I'm telling you...that first bite will have them speechless.

I wonder what everyone else will come up with. Thanks Carla for using my favorite ingredient.

3 comments:

giz said...

Garlic...did u say garlic - got my attention.
There's an award for you on our blog

Laura Paterson said...

ruth - I love the surprise factor in here!!

Sara said...

so simple yet so wonderful. thanks for taking part in wcc again this month ruth!