Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sizzle - a Great BBQ Book Even Without a BBQ

One of the things I miss most about living in Toronto, is my barbecue. We grilled even in the dead of winter. Just opened the back door and there it was, no need for a coat even. Here in Halifax, we're in a third floor condo with no balcony, no lawn, no barbecue! So why did I offer to read and write about a book called Sizzle - sensational barbecue food by Julie Biuso?

I find grilled foods, easy to prepare, colorful and pleasing to the eye as well as the tummy and such a healthy way to cook. And I'm always looking for new recipes. Julie, with her umpteen award winning books caught me with the title and the glorious cover....I know, I know..."don't judge a book by its cover", but for me the photos are a critical element in choosing a cookbook. And every one is gorgeous. Even if there was a dish you might ordinarily turn your nose up at (like my Honey with anchovies and tomatoes), the photos will suck you right in.

And this year, especially with no bbq of my own, I needed to find some dishes that translate from the outdoor grill to being cooked in the kitchen on grill pans or roasted at high heat in the oven. This book is great for that. In fact, Julie actually gives you alternative cooking methods so no guessing is required.

In fact, for dinner tonight I chose two great dishes that brought some sunshine into a dismal day here in Halifax (all in under 30 minutes start to finish).



Charred Red Peppers with Anchovies (my Honey at the whole thing!)




So even if you don't have a barbecue, I suggest you rush out and get this book anyway. It's lovely. The recipes are simple and so flavorful.

No comments: