Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Leeks - The Coolest "Onion"

Michelle, the Greedy Gourmet started a very cool monthly blogging event. It's called SnackShots. There's a theme...last month was potatoes and this month it's leeks, which just happen to be my new best friend. Up until a few years ago, I don't think I'd ever knowingly eaten leeks. My mother never cooked them and neither did I. I mean they look pretty in the store, but all that sand....sounded like too much work to me.

Now I'm addicted...I love the sweet smell when I saute them and the delicate flavor it imparts to my dishes. There are at least four different combinations in my Soup Section alone. Leeks are perfect with mushrooms and spinach or other greens. They flavor roasts and stews and they made this dish absolutely perfect.


Their sweetness cut the spice of the chorizo sausages and yet let the mussels come to life. But, if I'm to have a gorgeous photo of leeks for Snackshots...this pretty picture doesn't seem to do the trick. Finding the leeks in the soup reminds me of a series of books called Where's Waldo? If you've never played, do a google search for some interesting options. Basically, you have to find the boy with black rimmed glasses wearing a red and white striped shirt. He'll be hiding in the busiest pictures imaginable.

But even though the leeks are difficult to see in this awesome soup, they're easy to detect on the tongue. Seriously, when I close my eyes and someone says "picture leeks"...this bowlful of goodness comes to mind first. I can't wait to see which photo Michelle chooses for her great contest.

4 comments:

Patsyk said...

I love leeks, too! I had never even heard of them until my husband found a recipe that needed them. He had to ask the produce guy what they looked like!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your entry, Ruth!

Sand, soil and grit in leeks. Ick! I've heard that when leeks are like that, it's because they've been badly grown. We always look for leeks that have looooong stalks before the dark leaves feather out. That way we pay for less wastage. ;-)

Peter M said...

Ahhh, chorizo and mussels, my new favourite pairing. You'll find choizo to make a wonderful condiment to be used to snaz up many dishes.

As for leeks...once you get the hang of how to rid them of grit and dirt...nothing better!

Ruth Daniels said...

Chorizo is always in my fridge/freezer - fresh & smoked...it's awesome and goes in so many dishes to make them special. I even love them grilled instead of bacon with eggs & toast in the morning.

And these days, cleaning leeks is a breeze.