Sunday, January 27, 2008

The One Food Magazine to Buy - Er Make that Two!


I actually started to write this post a few weeks ago, when I picked up the February 2008 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine. Now, of course, I've been magazine shopping (because I love them all) and found another "must have" magazine for you... The Best of fineCooking 101 Tips, that is equally fantastic.

So here's the post....

I do love food magazines. They are truly my best buys every month. (I can't believe it has surpassed my love of shoes.) You'll find them in every room of my home - magazines, that is. They are part of my TV watching, bath soaking,...well you get the idea. Some people would find that excessive, I know. So if you're the type to spend your money on other things and rarely buy a food magazine.....

....you still have to buy this Bon Appetit issue. The people at Bon Appetit call February, 2008 the Green Issue. Words like "local", "sustainable" and "organic" abound. And while not everyone can/will go that route - cost...accessibility...seasonality, (I think eating only locally grown food in Alaska or Newfoundland in the middle of winter would be limiting) , this still is the magazine to own. You'll refer to it often. I was going to go on about this or that article and this or that recipe, but I realized that of the 137 pages...I've dog-earred so many, I don't know why I bothered. In other words...it's all good!

And yesterday I picked up fine Cooking 101 Tips. Actually in the introduction they say there are more like 301 tips and I think there are even more than that. So in addition to the fantastic sounding and looking recipes like the Mushroom Fontina Tart I'll be doing shortly, there are tons of articles with gorgeous photos. Articles like how to boil an egg and how to do more with your spices, and a hugely impressive collection of kitchen guides from shelf life, roasting times & temperatures, ingredient equivalents and substitutions....very impressive indeed.

Now if I could just stop reading and get off the couch....

Related links:

2 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

My two very favorite magazines. I thought about buying that Fine Cooking Tips, now I guess I have to get it!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love Bon Appétit, Gourmet and Saveur! I've never heard of that Fine Cooking Tips magazine, but I^'m sure that it rules...

Cheers,

Rosa