Saturday, January 12, 2008

The "Happy" Meme

Years ago when my older daughter Joanna was going through a particularly negative phase, I had a spark of genius (purely out of desparation, I might add). She was about 10 and every day would come home from school with a HUGE list of negativity to share. One day I stopped her at the door and told her she couldn't come in until she could tell me 10 good things that happened that day.

Well, she cried and said there was nothing good! I helped her with things like this:
1. You don't have to go in M's car (one of the car pool ladies that she didn't like) until next week.
2. You didn't have Mrs X today and now she's on vacation for two weeks.
3. There's only one more day of school this week.....

You get the idea. We continued with this ritual for quite a while. Today she says it was one of the best things I did as a mom. She would start looking for "good" things from early morning, adding them up as they came along during the day, so she could "get them out of the way" and start telling me about what really was on her mind. It make her look at things differently. Kudos for me and desparate measures!

Katie over at Thyme for Cooking was doing a Happy Meme started by Pat at Pat's Food Blog. So how could I not join in the fun. Here's my list of eight things that make me happy....



1. Picturing Boaz at his first birthday party. This was his first taste of cake. Can you say "sugar coma"?


2. My fantastic daughters, Joanna & Sharron, especially when we all get together.


3. Vacations with my Honey (this one was in the French Polynesia).


4. Discovering snorkelling.


5. Exploring Nova Scotia, our new home. (Church at Mahone Bay through the misty fog...such a magical, beautiful province.)


6. Babysitting Boaz every week. He seems to love the kitchen almost as much as I do.


7. Summer markets (this one was at St Jacobs, Ontario).


8. Finishing my cookbook. Shameless self-promotion, but I really am proud of myself for doing it.

Now you're all expected to at least think of 8 things that make you happy and even better if you write about it and share them with the rest of us.

Related Links:

5 comments:

Katie Zeller said...

I can see why every one of those things makes you happy! Made me happy just looking at the wonderful photos!(Thanks for playing..it's a nice meme, isn't it?)

Ruth Daniels said...

It is a great meme. Thanks for making me remind myself just how good life is. I don't know why, but sometimes it just seems easier to slip into the negative.

Anonymous said...

This is very nice! Your lovely daughters resemble you so much!

I have one bone to pick. In the holiday shot you appear to be wrapped in a patchwork quilt, while the hired help get to wear the lovely tropical flowered dresses!etlj

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks Judith, and in the holiday shot...we were on a cruise and this was a marriage vow ceremony - some newly weds and others, like us renewed our vows Polynesian style. The quilt is an important part of the ceremony - binding two people together. My favorite element was the gloriously fragrant crowns of flowers.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

nice meme, I like that is is mostly a photo meme. I think I will have a go!
Holler
xx