Monday, December 10, 2007

Rutabagas & Pears - Finally!

Did you ever buy a magazine and love a particular recipe so much that you actually buy the ingredients right then and there and expect to make the dish that night? And then....well, that night, the next night,...more nights and the magazine, open to the page, sits around just waiting for you? That's what happened to me.

I bought the November, 2007 Bon Appetit....Smashed Rutabagas with Ginger Roasted Pears caught my eye. The photo was gorgeous and had me drooling so much in line at the grocery store that I actually left the line up to head back to the produce section to buy some firm pears. Life somehow got in the way...I don't even remember how exactly, but the pears ripened and I ate them, bought more pears and ate those too and forgot about the recipe all together until this past weekend. No fresh pears on hand but an obsession to use the rutabaga I did have. Plus, finally I could use the dried pears (another one of those purchases I thought I'd use the same day).


And that's how this very tasty recipe came to be...hardly anything like the one in the magazine but delicious none the less. It was great with a thrown together meatloaf similar to this one.


Related Links:

No comments: