Friday, September 29, 2006

Kitchen Toys - Kaiser Springform Pan & DeLonghi Coffee Makers

If you're anything like me, holiday time means more cooking and baking than usual and in my house, that usually means at least one of my favorite kitchen toys dies. Last year it was my Sunbeam mixmaster. I had been coveting red Kitchenaid mixers for some time, but couldn't bring myself to replace my old sunbeam. After all it did the job, plus my mother had bought it for me years ago. I wrote all about it here if you're interested.

So I wasn't surprised when my Barista coffee maker died. Actually it's been dying a slow and leaky death for a while. I guess it had enough and did a suicide swan dive off the counter to really end its days. I loved the thermal pitcher it brewed the coffee in. No more burnt coffee sitting on a burner to keep it "warm". so I went hunting for a new one and found this thermos DeLonghi Coffee Maker that takes up less space and makes equally delicious coffee that stays warm without over cooking.


But naturally, that wasn't the end of it. For Rosh Hashanah I made a delicious apple cake using my favorite springform tube pan. The bottom makes a lovely bundt-like impression when you turn the cake or whatever over. Fortunately, the spring latch came off when I was removing the cake from the pan rather than when it was batter in the oven. I shudder at what that would have been like to clean up. Now the star of the Yom Kippur Break Fast meal is the Praline Luckshen kugel (noodle pudding), so I really need my pan NOW - no time for ordering on line. I could go into the painful saga of hunting for it, but I'll spare you. Suffice to say I went to six different places before I finally found it.
But here it is - my new Kaiser Springform Panwith 2 bottoms - a regular flat one, great for cheese cakes, and this bundt-like tube pan great for cakes and of course the kugel.

I wonder what else I'll need to replace before Monday's meal.

Related links:

3 comments:

Brilynn said...

I just got my first kitchenaid and I'm in love with it! All your toys look like lots of fun, I'm sure you'll find lots of excuses to use them.

Anonymous said...

funny that it's always at the holidays things "seem" to go wrong. hopefully that was the end of the bad luck.

that pan is great. gotta invest in one of those. didn't even realize it til now. 2 different bottoms AND a springform type release!? cool.

i am sure all will taste better. out with the old, and in with the new especially at this time of the year.

enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

What a great post although I'm sorry to hear about your departed small appliances!

Love the new bundt pan.