Saturday, July 1, 2006

Strawberries & Yoghurt with Mint - Says Summer is Here!

Local Strawberries with Vanilla Yoghurt sprinkled with Fresh Mint

It was 3pm yesterday and I was hungry. So I did what most people do - open the fridge door and wait for something easy to jump out. Now many times that doesn't work, but this time it did - in spades!!! And in time for Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging too. But let me back up a bit.

We've been really eating healthy for the last few months, doing the South Beach Diet, - a really easy, healthful approach to losing weight. My honey has lost almost 20 pounds and I'm close behind at 16. We're proud of ourselves, to say the least. Personally, I want to lose another 8 pounds or so before I really celebrate.

So let me first confess that Thursday night we had our first pizza delivered in 3 months - we used to do it once a week. Double pepperoni, mushrooms & onions on a thin crust....and it was everything I remembered - including lots of grease. And now that it's behind us we needed to regroup, so......

Yesterday we took a long walk for a great breakfast at Good Bite, a local diner(okay I did eat the home fries - first potatoes in quite a while) we had eggs -mine perfectly poached, his scrambled with back bacon - sometimes called Canadian bacon and whole wheat toast. Not perfect but the walk would surely help and only occasionally eating less healthful carbs actually keeps me truer to the good stuff. This is the longest I've ever stuck to a diet plan and it's mostly because everything is so delicious.

But enough preaching....along our journey home we stopped at every fruit store - and there are about 10 of them and other food purveyors to see if I could find some of the more exotic ingredients for my citrus herb rub (more about that tomorrow). I was hunting for Kaffir lime leaves - so far no luck so I'm heading off to St Lawrence Market (I've written about it here, here, here and here) in hopeful anticipation. I did find dried lemongrass flakes (at Noah's, a local health food store, along with lavender flowers) and some fabulous fresh herbs - huge bushels of basil with the roots still attached and bunches of heady thyme and mint.

I don't recall the name, but there was a wonderful Italian shop that sold 4 different kinds of pitted olives and gorgeous looking antipasto dishes, cheeses, deli meats, breads.....oh my- it will definitely get another visit soon.

So now it's mid afternoon and I'm in need of a snack...we're back standing in front of the fridge, in case you've forgotten the beginning of this post. The strawberries we got last Sunday in Niagara are still looking good - hard to believe but true! and the fragrance of the mint as I brushed against the bag, yelled "pick me, pick me!!" So over the last of the vanilla yoghurt, I sliced gorgeous, brilliant red and juicy strawberries, whose juices swirled with the yoghurt giving off a hint of pink. Then I sprinkled some chopped mint over it all, gave it a swirl - and Voila!

All I can say is ...Welcome Summer!!!

Related links:

4 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Congratulations on the 16 pounds! I feel exactly the same way; this is the only diet I've ever been able to stick to and it's because there are so many delicious choices that I don't start feeling deprived. And I think it's perfectly ok to allow yourself to eat something once in a while that's not on the diet. I splurge when I'm traveling, or for parties, and once in a while even order pizza too. If I splurge too much, I do phase one for a week or two and the weight comes right off. It's like a miracle.

The strawberries and yogurt sound good, but adding the mint bumps it up to fantastic. My store has low carb vanilla yogurt, and in the winter when I can't get any fresh berries I buy non-sweetened frozen berries and mix them into the yogurt, which is also delish.

Jackie said...

Congrats on the weight loss! South Beach always did sound like one of the more reasonable diet plans to me. :)

I also have to say that strawberries and yogurt are one of my absolute favorites - healthful and so tasty (I'll never understand the people who buy fancy fruit dips. Give me nonfat vanilla yogurt any day of the week!) Will have to try it with mint sometime!

Anonymous said...

Yes--congratulations!! Great job. The strawberries look so good.

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks ladies, for the congrats. Isn't it wonderful how delicious a dish can be without any real work involved?

Thanks for dropping by.