Saturday, November 12, 2005

Weekend Herb Blogging

Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen has a weekend herb blogging event that I thought I'd join since I don't have any cute puppies or kittens to show off for the other weekend blogging events.

I thought it would be fun since I love herbs more than anything. My fridge always has a stash of fresh thyme, oregano, cilantro, parsley and basil. Except it's Friday night - 11:01 to be exact and the cilantro, basil and dill look disgusting - off to compost for them. So here's what's in the fridge until I hit the market tomorrow.


oregano, parsley, mint & thyme (and of course I'm hearing Simon & Garfunkel in my head)

Since my favorites - basil & rosemary are missing (well the rosemary is not missing, it's still doing okay on my front porch in the dark and will for most of the winter (on the porch, that is) - they're hardy!!!), I thought I'd show you what they looked like in August.


This is a wonderful fragrant bunch of basil I picked up at a farmer's market and it's sitting on my mantle beside my favorite painting. It's all about Brando and done by my favorite local artist Joey Dammit!! Check it out here The basil really didn't last very long before it became pesto....oh well.



Here's some different types of basil I had in pots on my front porch. They didn't make it very long either before they got spindly and finally met their maker.


My rosemary plant is now a much darker green, but it still packs quite a punch and I love being able to just open my front door and snip some off for delicious roasted chicken and potatoes.

That's it for now and I must say that the herbs I'll find tomorrow won't be nearly as gorgeous or as fragrant as the ones I found this summer, but it's November in Toronto and we can only do the best we can.

Related link:

5 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Your rosemary and basil look wonderful. I haven't tried growing herbs in pots. but I've been thinking about trying cilantro in a pot to see if I can keep the snails from totally devouring it.

Ruth Daniels said...

Well Kalyn I DID try cilantro in a pot a couple of years ago - how DO you spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r!??!

First, the snails loved it, second it never seemed to thrive, third was so spindly no one could recognize it as cilantro. So I'll just have to continue buying it instead.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a great site you have here!
Please come and visit my blog. It's all about Swiss and international cuisine...

Joycelyn said...

hi ruth, your rosemary plant looks like the very picture of vibrant, verdant health - it must be fabulous to be able to pop outside for a few freshly sniped stalks as and when you need them...

Swamy VKN said...

Hello Ruth - I too am a diehard fan of Basil, was about to post on basil which was the US herb of the year 2004, at last minute picked up date palm. See this telepathy, I already knew that someone was writing on Basil :-) Awesome pictures friend. Cheers!

VK Narayanan