Crab Cakes & Chipotle Mayo
from Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories
To make 18 crab cakes I used 6 tins of crab meat. Sharron and her friend Jasmine helped in the process. It reminded me of when my daughters were little and they'd have their friends over to help bake challah. This time was much less stressful.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Fridge time: 30 minutes – 24 hours
Total cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes 4 patties or 15-20 mini-crab cakes for appetizers
1 package (200g/7 oz) frozen
crabmeat, thawed (canned will do) well drained
¼ cup each finely diced carrots & sweet red peppers
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1¼ cups *Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
½ cup light mayonnaise
Dash Worcestershire sauce
For chipotle mayo:
Wearing rubber gloves, finely chop chipotle peppers.
In small bowl whisk together chipotles, mayo, and Worcestershire sauce.
For Crab cakes
1. Place crabmeat in a sieve; pick through it to remove any cartilage. Press firmly to remove liquid and transfer the crab meat to a bowl.
2. Add red peppers, onions, egg, 2 tbsp of bread crumbs, seasoning, 3 tbsp of chipotle mayo and stir to combine.
3. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Press heaping tablespoons of crab mixture into ½ inch thick patties, and roll in bread crumbs. Then refrigerate for up to 24 hours covered.
4. In a non stick pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook crab cakes in batches adding more oil as needed and cook until golden (usually 3 minutes or so per side).
5. Keep them warm on a rack over a baking sheet with sides in the oven at 250°F/130°C oven
Tips & Variations
I love to serve the crab cakes for a light supper or lunch with a salad of mixed greens and a dressing on the sweet side, like olive oil, rice wine vinegar or lemon juice with a tablespoon of maple syrup
Serve mini crab cakes with a dollop of chipotle mayo on top as a delicious appetizers
* Panko are Japanese breadcrumbs coarser than regular ones typically found in North American supermarkets, so if you can’t find them, make your own - use some day old bread, cut off crust, tear up and using a food processor pulse until the bread crumbs are the size of rice grains..
Related links:crab cakes, recipes