Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Shrimp with Chilli & Cilantro

Shrimp with Chilli & Cilantro (adapted from Grill!)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinate: 1 hour
Grill time: 3 minutes

Serves 4 (or if you’re like us – 2)

Ingredients:

1 lb/ 450 g raw jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined (I didn’t have any jumbo so I used medium and sautéed them instead)

Marinade:
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (I ran out, so I used fresh basil instead)
1 red chili, seeds removed and finely chopped (Asian garlic chili paste would work well here too)
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Lime wedges to serve (I sprinkled some lime zest instead)

Directions:
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large non metallic bowl. Add the shrimp, toss and marinate. The book says 1-6 hours, but I only did it for about 15 minutes or so. I find that fish/shell fish get rubbery if they’re in the marinade too long.

2. Preheat the grill and cook for 3 minutes or so (or in my case I sautéed them in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. I dumped the marinade in with the shrimp and sautéed them together. It made for a great sauce!

3. Remove from the heat once the shrimp have turned pink, but don’t over cook them.


Related links:




No comments: