Peas & Mushrooms – Matar Makhani
From Madhur Jaffrey’s Quick & Easy Indian Cookery
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
20 oz/600g frozen peas
½ lb/ 500g mushrooms, sliced (I like cremini best)
¼ tsp sugar
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
¼ - ½ tsp chili powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp water
6 oz/175 ml cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
1 fresh, green chili pepper, finely chopped (seeding beforehand cuts the heat level)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds (black or yellow)
1. Defrost the frozen peas completely by running under warm water and drain.
2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, ground cumin, garam masala, salt, chili powder, and tomato puree, water and mix well. Add the cream and blend. Add the lemon juice, cilantro and green chili. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan or skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat and sauté the mushrooms. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add another 2 tbsp oil to the pan, when hot (30 seconds or so), add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. The mustard will start to pop almost immediately and then add the peas and mushrooms. Stir for 30 seconds or so.
5. Add the cream sauce to the pea mixture in the pan and cook over high heat for 2 minutes or so until the sauce thickens slightly.
Related links: Food and Drink Recipes vegetables Indian Food