Adapted from SuperFoods for Babies & Children
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 miuntes
Makes 16 squares
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut in chunks
5 oz/100g good bittersweet chocolate, broken in pieces
3 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C and grease an 8" square pyrex baking pan.
2. Heat butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over simmering water. Stir until melted. This just takes a few minutes. Turn off the heat but leave it over the pot of water while you prepare the rest of the brownie mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour and chocolate & white chocolate chips.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together for about 5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the melted chocolate and then fold in the dry ingredients.
5. Pour into the greased pan and bake for 25 minutes or so until the center rises and the edges are firm. Let the brownies cool in the pan over a rack. Cut into squares and serve.
I actually forgot to put the chips into the batter, so the brownies were a little drier than they should have been. I poured the chips over the hot brownies right out of the oven, let them melt for a minute or two and swirled them around to make instant icing.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes