Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
4 cups baby spinach
4 small portobello or 4 large cremini mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp red wine
2 tbsp water
salt & pepper to taste
1. Steam the spinach (2 1/2 minutes in the microwave with 1 tbsp water, loosely covered), drain, chop and set aside in a bowl.
2. In the meantime, in a medium sized skillet, over medium high heat, saute the onion in olive oil until translucent (3 minutes or so). Add the garlic and briefly cook until you can smell the aroma.
3. Add the cooked onion and garlic to the spinach with salt & pepper to taste.
4. In the same skillet, add 1 more tbsp of olive oil and cook the mushrooms gill side down for 3-4 minutes. (For portobello mushroms you should remove the gills with the edge of a spoon before cooking. This isn't necessary for cremini mushrooms). Flip the mushrooms and continue to cook for three minutes. Add the wine. Turn the heat down to medium. By this time the wine will be gone, so add 1 - 2 tbsp water to the pan.
5. Spoon the spinach mixture onto the mushroom caps. The mushrooms will have absorbed all the wine and water so don't expect any juices.
This is great with any type of steak or grilled chicken dish.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes