Prep time: 15 minutes (mostly to peel the shrimp & slice the mushrooms)
Cooking time: 10 minutes or so
1 package (340g/11 oz) multigrain pasta
4 litres/quarts water
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced (you can substitute your favorite mushrooms)
1 cup asparagus tips and stems, cut in 2” pieces
½ cup shallots/eschalots, chopped
450 g/1 lb large shrimp, raw & peeled
3 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
¼ cup grilled/roasted red pepper, chopped
½ cup white wine
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ - ½ tsp dried red chili flakes
Salt & black pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp fresh basil, shredded or coarsely chopped
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large pasta pot or Dutch oven and add salt and pasta. Cook as per instructions (if it takes less than 9-10 minutes, start cooking the mushrooms and onions first)
2. In a large skillet heat the oil at medium high heat, just until you can feel the heat of the pan.
3. Sauté the mushrooms and shallots for 5 minutes or until they start to brown.
4. Add the asparagus and shrimp and sauté until the shrimp are just a bit translucent in the center.
5. Add the wine, chili flakes and lemon juice. Toss and let it cook for a couple of minutes more. Add the basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water (you may or may not need it to make the sauce the consistency you like.