Sunday, June 26, 2005
Romano Bean, Spinach & Chorizo Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Broil time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
3 chorizo sausages (I used fresh, but cured would do. Just eliminate the broiling, cut in ¼” coins and sauté for a few minutes)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 19oz/475ml can romano (or canelini beans), rinsed & drained
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
1 sprig of rosemary
1 heaping tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups, fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to broil and set chorizo sausages on a rack over a lipped cookie sheet. Prick the sausages several times and broil 4-5 minutes per side.
2. In the meantime, in a medium sized sauce pan, over medium low heat, sauté the onion and finely chopped carrot in olive oil for about 6-8 minutes or until the onion is translucent and soft.
3. Slice the broiled sausages into ¼” coins and add to the onions and carrots (if you’re using cured chorizo just sauté quickly to kind of crisp the edges).
4. Add the rest of the ingredients except the spinach, salt & pepper and let it come to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat, add the spinach, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as required. Remember to taste first – the chorizo and the broth can be flavorful without adding anything. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, rosemary sprig and garlic clove.
6. Cover and simmer for a few minutes (just until the spinach wilts) and serve.
Related links: Food and Drink Recipes Soup