Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total Baking time: 20 minutes
1 1/2 dozen eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs like basil, dill, oregano, cilantro
1 tbsp of chipotle chili in adobo sauce if you like it spicy
Grilled/Roasted veggies: 1/2 lb asparagus spears, 1 red pepper seeded and sliced length-wise
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the eggs in a blender and mix with the oil and salt and pepper together for 30 seconds or so and set aside. This makes the frittata rise in the oven – it’s almost like a soufflé.
3. Cut the asparagus in 2" pieces and reserving the top third for once the eggs have been added. Quarter the artichoke hearts and cut the pepper slices in half.
3. Heat a non stick, ovenproof 12" fry pan, (10" for 4-6 people - just use 2 eggs per person and cut the other ingredients in half). Add the grilled or roasted veggies, chopped herbs,(you could add 1 cup of cooked cubed chicken or chorizo sausages at this point), toss and heat for 1 - 2 minutes.
4. Add the beaten eggs, tipping it until the eggs are well incorporated. Place the tops of the asparagus in a pinwheel design from the center out and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
5. Place the frittata in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the frittata becomes golden.
Tips & Variations
This is always a delicious way to use up left over side or pasta dishes, or just whatever strikes my fancy when I open the fridge!!
**Leftover vegetable stew makes a great filling. Just drain off any liquid and cook off any excess liquid over high heat before adding the beaten eggs.