Thursday, May 19, 2005

Sauteed Fiddleheads

Here's my personal recipe, hope you enjoy.

Serves 2
Hands on time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes

½ pound fiddleheads, rinsed well and brown ends cut off
1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil over high heat.

2. In the meantime, fill a large bowl with ice water. I add one full ice cube tray while the pot of water is boiling.

3. Blanch the fiddleheads (cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes). This really brings out the green and leeches out the bitterness

4. Scoop out fiddleheads, using a slotted spoon and put them in the bowl of ice water. Add another tray of ice cubes and let them chill for 5 minutes. This stops the cooking process.

5. Drain and pat dry.

6. Heat olive oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds or so. Add fiddleheads and sauté for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss.

It’s ready to serve and goes great with grilled salmon and boiled new potatoes with chives and butter.


donna said...

I'm gonna try this recipe when you come over and prepare it.I'm a culinary moron, I'm afraid. And everyone will attest to that!

Saltyknees said...

Many thanks! I made this recipe Saturday for my in-laws (Danish & Dutch) to accompany a Pork roast with Saged Salt. They were so surprised. They loved this recipe. Interestingly enough, they were suprised that I even knew what a fiddlehead was!
You made me look like a Star.
Cheers. Very much !

Ruth said...

Donna, not a culinary moron, just someone who'd rather be anywhere but the kitchen.

Christopher, glad they were all pleased!

And thanks for dropping by