Monday, May 23, 2005

Favorite Sunday Mornings

Check out the french toast recipe at the end of the post.

Even though it's really Monday, it's also Victoria Day in Canada and the end of a long weekend. So today made me think of my favorite day of the week - Sunday. I thought I'd share a recipe and anecdote from my upcoming cookbook.

No alarm clock today, just the natural rhythm of my body waking me up - 7 o’clock, 8 o’clock, 10 o’clock, whatever. Big stretch and still sleepy I roll over and my husband is gone, but not for long. He’s out foraging for the Sunday New York Times and a grande, non-fat, extra dry, cappuccino for me and a tall latte for him. There is nothing better to chase away the week’s stresses than lying in bed, drinking coffee, newspaper sections scattered across the crumpled sheets and sharing our thoughts about the articles. Sometimes it’s just to point out something of interest like the gazillion dollar necklace that can be had at Barney’s or the new play we have to see the next time we’re in the Big Apple. Sometimes it’s to heatedly debate the issues of the day. Whatever it is, it’s the best two hour respite from the world ever.

Well there is one thing that can make it even more perfect… my honey's French toast. After we’ve finished with the Times, while I’m still bumbling about, he’s whipping up a batch in the kitchen and when the smell of thyme (the secret ingredient) and frying toast makes its way upstairs, my mouth waters and my feet, with a mind of their own, take me downstairs. It’s time to eat and I’m usually so busy making purring noises that conversation is put on hold until the plates are empty.

Now close your eyes and take a couple of minutes to think of your perfect Sunday morning. Don’t you feel less stressed already? If you don’t have one of your own, try our recipe for relaxation and rejuvenation.


French Toast
From Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients:
5 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 heaping tsp dried thyme
6 slices challah bread
Butter or margarine for frying

1. Combine eggs, thyme and oil in a bowl and beat until blended.

2. Heat butter or margarine in a large skillet and quickly dip challah in egg mixture, coating both sides. Allow excess egg mixture to drip off before frying the challah.

3. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Make sure that there is only a single layer of toast in the pan at any one time.

4. While making subsequent batches, keep the toast warm in the oven or toaster oven set to 150-200°F

I love mine with maple syrup, he likes his with peanut butter. For a fancy brunch, I make a berry compote to make it more festive.

1 comment:

So So Simple said...

Ruth
Like the thyme addition must give it a go.
Its winter here and your French toast will make a great lunch next week.
Cheers