Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Eat to Live or Live to Eat?

It’s been said that there are two types of people in the world – those who eat to live and those who live to eat. I’m certainly one who loves food and lives to eat. Since you are reading this, you probably are too.

There’s a further breakdown in the “love to eat/live to eat” category – those purists who love food and search for perfection in it, paying homage to the perfect mix of ingredients, the perfect pairing of foods, the perfect setting; and then there are those who link food with events – like picnics in the park with friends and family, after-school snacks, family gatherings and trips to Tahiti or Timbuktu.

I fall into the latter group. One of those people who, when they speak about times gone by, usually mention food in the telling - and not just the food, but the smells, the images and sounds that the mere suggestion brings to mind. We’re the ones with the dreamy look in our eyes when we tell our stories!

Try thinking about family outings when you were a kid without the edible goodies that were an integral part of it. Try thinking about the last time you got together with old friends without thinking about what you ate and drank, or your last vacation without thinking about the food. Try being sick without wishing your mom was around to make her special (fill in the blank) to pamper you until you got better. Practically impossible!

I’m currently writing a cookbook that not only shares my tried and true, easy to follow recipes, but anecdotes of a time gone by. It also has a cooking primer for those who are not so comfortable in the kitchen to help them become the star they are. I’ll be using this blog to share my musings about my writing journey and my favourite things (which will somehow usually relate to food). I hope you’ll enjoy them and come back often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be the first to buy your cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Ruth, great contact for original
recipes, it has been saved to my favorites.

I am looking for the Montreal Bagel recipe, any ideas.

Pat on the mountain