Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Gingery Delight and Visit with an Old Friend

Although I have a huge stack of cookbooks sitting on my table...all screaming "pick me! write about me! make some of my recipes!" ...and I will ....my mind was on the Chinese smoked sausages I bought on my recent trip to Taishann Asian Market. I was researching an article for Foodtv's blog and naturally, I had to buy something. Okay, perhaps not as much as I bought, but who could resist all those exotic delicacies.

And these Chinese Sausages really intrigued me...are they spicy like chorizo, or ...what? So last night I made a fantastic stir fry with shrimp adapted from one of my favorite books - A Spoonful of Ginger which I wrote about here .

The dish Shrimp, Chinese Sausages & Shitake Stir Fry was fantastic, if I do say so myself. And for those of you who are interested...the smoked sausages (think Italian pepperoni in texture, but not flavor) were distinctively sweet and had an aroma of star anise, I thought, but it didn't list that on the package. What it did say...pork, chicken, soy sauce sugar, grain alcohol...really? hmmm, perhaps that's what I tasted, preservatives and "spices" (but not which ones).

And the sausages so tasty, I think I'll be making some sort of Asian inspired frittata this weekend....stay tuned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love ginger flavoring...I actually just cooked with fresh ginger for the first time last week. The smell is so good!

Ruth Daniels said...

Hillary, I use ginger almost as much as garlic! It's awesome.

Tastes of Home said...

hi there! I found your blog via tezcape...I use ginger ALL the time hehe..looks great!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

An inspirational dish Ruth!!!

Anonymous said...

Ginger fan here, too. What makes me comment though is the cookbook subject. If it doesn't read like a novel or a biography, I just can't get into them. What is it about cookbooks that seduces all of you?

Ruth Daniels said...

Tastes...thanks for dropping by and I'm glad you found me so I could find you ;-) Your blog is great.

Bellini, thanks!

Judith, as to what seduces me...it depends on the day. There are two books that recently came to my table...Beyond the Great Wall and Anita Stewart's Canada that are wonderful reads and filled with terrific recipes. That said, sometimes, I just want a book of recipes.